Wednesday, May 31, 2006

My own weird round up

I have a few things, mostly politically unimportant and probably not warranting a lot of response (or maybe any), that I want to just throw out there to get off my chest. So here is my own little version of a round up:

NAME-STEALING, ATTENTION-WHORES NEWS:
Brad and Angelina had their baby on Saturday . And they stole the same name that Mrs. Gurufrisbee and I just gave our new daughter 40 days earlier. Actually, this could work out. If the Bradgelina baby starts a trend, maybe someday we can get those cute pencils or keychains with "Shiloh" on them. But since no one will likely remember this, I just need to state for the record - OUR daughter came first , so no, we did not copy them! And we are willing to sell pictures of our Shiloh for a slightly more reasonable price.

WHAT DOES 5 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR BUY YOU?
In terms of the local baseball team - not a whole lot! Despite having the 11th highest payroll
in all of baseball and having five hitters making 4.9 million or more (three making TWELVE million a year or more), the team is ten games under .500, in last place in their division, and was just SHUT OUT for the 7th time in just over fifty games this season - which is the most in all of baseball. Yup, it takes a real star pitcher like John Rheinecker or Rodrigo Lopez to completely shut down these guys.

HOW I ALSO WENT ONE-FOR-THREE WITH MOVIES THIS PAST WEEKEND:
In the midst of a whole lot of time with the extended family, Mrs. Gurufrisbee and I grabbed three videos from Blockbuster. As is typical with us, she picked two and I picked one and in the end we both were only pleased with the one I selected. Two for you to avoid at all costs - "Just Like Heaven" (further proof that Reese Witherspoon is probably the most overrated actress this side of Sandra Bullock) and "Fun with Dick and Jane"(further proof that the script has totally control Jim Carrey or it's going to be awful). The winner? "Munich". It's a hard movie to watch and at no point does it leave you feeling good, but it's intensely powerful and it boasts the single best acting performance from last year that I've seen (including Phoenix in Walk the Line and Hoffman in Capote) with Eric Bana. I don't know much about him (I think he was the Hulk), but he is awesome in this film.

MORE QUALITY TELEVISION SHOWS GETTING THE BOOT
I'm lucky. I like a few shows on TV a lot and fortunately most of them, like LOST and Survivor, get terrific ratings and will be on for several seasons. And every year I try to look at the new shows coming in and see if any look like they are worth trying out. But I also know that if I take on a new show, I need to cut out an old one, because I don't want to spend all my time watching TV. So this last season, when I decided to give Prison Break a shot (good decision), I had to cut out one show and since the WB had moved Everwood to Thursday nights at 9 p.m. (up against Mrs. gurufrisbee's favorite C.S.I.), that was a painful, but logical choice. Now I hear the show is being cancelled and that does make me sad. It really is a great show that for the first three seasons had as good writing, acting, and true life style drama as I've ever seen on TV. It had a heart to it that you don't find on television anymore and while I've missed it this season, it makes me even sadder to now know it will be gone for good.

PEOPLE WHO SHOULD BE GROWN UP BUT STILL AREN'T NEWS:
Yesterday I was only three weeks away from turning THIRTY. You would think having been in my career for many years now and being married even longer than that and even having a child now, I'd be mentally prepared to be an adult, but I'm really not. I still don't think of myself as being an adult, but I'm not sure I can justify that once I'm in my 30's. Yikes.

|