Monday, November 06, 2006

Monday's Meditation

"We must learn to regard people less in the light of
what they do or omit to do, and more in the light of what they
suffer."
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer


Often I have asked the Lord to allow me to see those around me through his eyes. I suppose what I have meant by my request was a desire to see beyond the ugliness that I see in people so that that I might see the beauty Christ sees in them.

Perhaps my focus is off, for it seems to me that the Christian story is one in which a perfect God looks down on creation and sees not the beauty he created, but rather depravity brought n by rebelion. Because of his great love for his creation, this God humbles himself and takes on the appearance of depraved humanity, not so he could "see past" the wretchedness around him - if that were possible - but suffer with those he loves.

And the same should be said of us. For if we are to be Christ's disciples, we must first stop and listen to our God and King, and follow him into the suffering of those around us, seeking first to know their suffering, and turning our hearts back to Christ for his direction in these matters. There may be no greater witness to the truth of the gospel than when we humble ourselves, setting aside our rights and "rightness," and enter the suffering of those around us not because they deserve it or are worthy of it, but simply because they suffer.

Lord Jesus, you sought those who were suffering. You comfort those who suffer. Lord Jesus, give us a passion for those who suffer. May we seek them out and understand them by their suffering and in doing so, love them and see them as you see them.

|