Friday, July 14, 2006

Friday Prayer Blogging - Fig Tree edition

And Jesus said, "Early in the morning, as he was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, 'May you never bear fruit again!' Immediately the tree withered. When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. 'How did the fig tree wither so quickly?' they asked.

Jesus replied, 'I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.'"


God amazes me sometimes. That he listens to my petty requests and then acts on them is truly amazing. I enjoy teaching, but I get paid to be with immature adolescents. One of the worst parts of the job is listening to the petty complaining and whining from my students. I wouldn't listen if I wasn't paid to.

Compare that with God who is under no obligation to listen, but not only listens to my requests, but acts on them as if they matter as much to Him as they do me. If you remember last week, I was scared of terrorists. This week, I'm not. It isn't that the threat of terrorism is any less this week than it was last week. The change has happened within me. At church on Sunday, I really, really prayed about moving to DC. Asking God over and over if that is where we should be. The answer was a resounding yes! I really felt God saying, "My child, I love you more than my Son, why would I send you somewhere to harm you?"

I could have come up with a million reasons, but God doesn't see them anymore. Praise Him! I'm truly a changed man. I probably don't have the faith to make a fig tree wither or a mountain to jump into the seas, but I have enough faith to walk boldly into Washington, D.C. and be ready for whatever God has planned for us.

I don't know why God doesn't answer every prayer. I don't know why Mrs. The Old Man is getting better from cancer at each report, but other Christians die from cancer. I don't know why God answered me so forcefully on Sunday, but on other days has let me suffer in silence.

I'm not omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. But I know who is and how you can ask the questions.
Let us pray.

Like always, please add additional prayers or praises in the comments

Technorati Tags: , ,

|