Sunday, March 05, 2006

Mrs. Expat Teacher is incredible!

I would absolutely remiss if I didn't mention how wonderful my wife is. She took it upon herself to organize a wonderful birthday celebration for me yesterday. She contacted virtually everyone we knew and put together a two-part birthday party that was the best I've ever had.

Mrs. Expat Teacher got 20 or so of my friends and colleagues together for lunch at Pizza Express on the south bank of the Thames. Then afterwards about a dozen of us headed to Vinopolis, a wine tasty "tour" of the world built over a sunken Roman barge full of wine bottles. I had Greek, Israeli, South African, Italian and Chinese wines. I also had some whiskey, absinthe and lagers.

Putting this party together wasn't an easy task. And she pulled it off wonderfully. I felt very loved.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, I was surprised. On Thursday, I discovered that USA is playing Italy in the World Cup in Kaiserslautern on Saturday 17th of June. All the tickets are sold out, but I thought it might be fun to fly out there on Saturday morning, grab a seat in the town platz and root for the ol' Red, White and Blue. This wouldn't be a cheap weekend out and I figured Mrs. Expat Teacher, who has very little interest in football (soccer), would veto it. Boy was I wrong! Not only did she support the idea, she liked the idea and told me to book the tickets.

The best decision I ever made was to fall for this girl and marry her. I've never looked back.

|