Thursday, February 07, 2008

Romney is gone

Mitt Romney is suspending his campaign (though I fail to see what significant difference there is between suspending it and ending it altogether). Not that John McCain had much competition any more, but this pretty well ends it (Sorry Huckabee and Paul supporters). And this announcement made me ask myself two questions:

First, would I have ever wanted to vote for Romney and therefore wished he was the GOP nominee?

The answer to that is a resounding a "NO!". For me, Romney didn't represent anything I would want to vote for. The major issues I agree with Republicans on - he was inconsistent and unreliable on. The issues I disagree with Republicans on - he clearly supported. I think Mormons are wonderful people and do lots of great things for our country - but I don't want anyone who buys all of that leading my country. Romney is a smooth talker and has accomplished a lot of positive things - but he was at the bottom of my list of GOP options.

Second, will I miss the impact he was having on the race?

The answer to that is probably "Yes". He and McCain attacked at each other far worse than HRC and Obama ever did and he certainly put some serious damage on the McCain campaign in general. Plus he had the funds to make McCain have to dip deep just to win the nomination. And he kept clearly showing how McCain is no friend to the conservative base. Losing him helps McCain in many, many ways and that's not a good thing.

Of course losing him also means we won't have to listen to nearly as much of the total inflamatory bull-crap that spewed from his mouth like:

"And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign be a part of aiding a surrender to terror."

Anyone who would stoop to make such inflamatory and dishonest statements about respectful people like HRC and Obama is bad for America. Bye bye Mitt - we're all better now that you're gone.

|