Sunday, March 11, 2007

300? Nah more like $6

Last night, I celebrated my birthday by having a big fat burrito and going to a movie. The best part was that 8 other folks joined me. Mrs. Expat Teacher, of course, was there, but also several other couples and a few single guys made it. The burritos from California Tortilla are unique and yummy. Then we headed across the street to the theater and got tickets for 300 - the movie.

I have taught about the Battle of Thermopylae for the last 8 years or so, so I imagined it would be excellent. I knew it was based on a graphic novel and not an actual representation, but even then I was a little disappointed. I was entertained, but the movie left a lot to be desired.

It did have my favorite Sparta quote "Come back with your shield - or on it" as Leonidas went off to battle with his 300 Spartans to face the mighty hordes of the Persians. The movie did show in graphic detail why the Greek Hoplites were so effective with their shields. But that was pretty much the extent of the history in the movie.

However, it was basically 90 minutes of hack and slash with some ridiculous historical fiction about Leonidas' wife and the Spartan council. To make matters worse, it was highly homoerotic (when it shouldn't have been...that was the Athenians) at weird points. Also, there were a bunch of just made up characters (like the crab-man executioner) that didn't add anything to the story.

300 should probably be seen on the big screen to get the full effect of the sound and visuals. However, I wouldn't pay anything more than about $6 for it.

|