Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Bible in the Classroom

I found this last week and thought it was interesting. The only thing I'll say is that in college, I took a Bible as Literature class that went towards my English degree. It was very strange forcing myself to read about God as a character in a book rather than as a living being. Undoubtedly there are some out there who will look at this sort of thing in the public schools as a victory. And, I suppose there will always be those who are reached through this sort of Bible study. But, my experience tells me that mostly the Bible will be cut up, dissected, and looked at critically through the lenses of literature and culture. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for literature and culture. It's just that this isn't the agenda that some are pushing when the hope to get the Bible in the classroom. Here's the article.

|