Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Alpha Update Week 1

I just got back from my first Alpha session. It went fabulous. The format is very simple. Eat from 7:00-7:45, clean up. From 8-8:45 listen to a talk (tonight's was on "Who is Jesus?"), have coffee/tea from 8:45-9:00 in our small groups of 10-12 people and from 9:00-9:45 have a small group discussion. The brilliance is that the general Christian position is laid out in the talk and the 45 minute (more or less) small group discussion is for guests and visitors to talk stuff out and present their own points. As a leader, I love this. I have no responsibility, except to keep the discussion going. I don't have to answer any questions, confronting of heresay or do any preaching.

There were about 400 people there tonight. My group is the best. ;-) We are a virtual United Nations. We have three English, two Aussies, two Ghanans, one South African, one Korean, one Japanese and, of course, yours truly from America.

The group seemed to gel quickly and we had the good beginnings of a discussion before our time ran out. Four of us went to the pub to continue our talk.

I'm jazzed!

|