Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Questions for the Moral Majority

mor·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (môrl, mr-)adj.
Of or concerned with the judgment of the goodness or badness of human action and character: moral scrutiny; a moral quandary.
Teaching or exhibiting goodness or correctness of character and behavior: a moral lesson.
Conforming to standards of what is right or just in behavior; virtuous: a moral life.
Arising from conscience or the sense of right and wrong: a moral obligation.
Based on strong likelihood or firm conviction, rather than on the actual evidence: a moral certainty.

ma·jor·i·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (m-jôr-t, -jr-)n. pl. ma·jor·i·ties
The greater number or part; a number more than half of the total.
The political party, group, or faction having the most power by virtue of its larger representation or electoral strength.

The Moral Majority Coalition Platform:

Platform # 1 The Moral Majority Coalition will conduct an intensive four-year "Voter Registration Campaign" through America's conservative churches, para-church ministries, pro-life and pro-family organizations.

Platform #2 The Moral Majority Coalition will conduct well organized "Get-Out-The-Vote Campaigns" in 2006 and 2008.

Platform #3 The Moral Majority Coalition will engage in the massive recruitment and mobilization of social conservatives through television, radio, direct mail (U.S.P.S. and Internet) and public rallies.

Platform #4The Moral Majority Coalition will encourage the promotion of continuous private and corporate prayer for America's moral renaissance based on 2 Chronicles 7:14.

QUESTIONS:
A) If you really are the "majority", why do you need "massive recruitment"? Don't you already would have more than half?
B) If you really are the "moral" ones, shouldn't you be interested in actually helping the 'minority' to become moral? I understand platform #4 does somewhat address that through prayer, but that's it. And apparently praying for better morals is only half as important as voter registration, based on these platforms. I'm not sure I like a 'moral majority' that sees the only important moral improvement possibility for the country to be praying for it and that's only half as important as registering the already moral ones to vote.
C) What the heck would be the point of joining the Moral Majority? To go out and register other similar thinking people to vote and then to tell them to give money for recruitment efforts or to register others to vote or to pray. That's it? Does anyone truly believe this is the whole platform for this group? How do I know my money will go to recruitment efforts and not attack campaigns on TeleTubbies or Sponge Bob Squarepants?

I already sent for the package because I like the "I vote Christian" sticker, but I'm a little hesitant to actually join the group. I don't have anything against voter registration, but as an American I think it should be encouraged of all Americans, not just the ones I think will vote like me. I pray every day for our country and I'm part of a group that encourages it - it's called my church. I'm a bit at a loss as to why I would then join this group, when there are so many other groups that actually have platforms that include actually DOING moral things for others. And, like I said, they already sent me the sticker.

|