Tuesday, July 18, 2006

HWDV - How Will Dignan Vote?

You know you are a political junkie when you care about the race for lieutenant governor of a state you don't live and have never lived in. Today is the primary elections in Georgia. The Hotline has a pretty good run down on both the Republican and Democratic primaries.

The only thing I care about is how will Ralph Reed do?

As far as I'm concerned Ralph Reed embodies all that is wrong with the marriage of Republican politics with evangelical Christianity. For those unfamiliar with Ralph Reed, let me give you the wikipedia thumbnail. "Ralph Eugene Reed, Jr., (born June 24, 1961) is a conservative Republican American political activist, best known as the first executive director of the Christian Coalition during the early 1990s. He is now a candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Georgia. Reed is also a part of the ongoing Jack Abramoff Indian lobbying scandal."

I'm merely an outsider looking in, but I'm wondering How Will Dignan Vote?

Dignan has some history with Ralph Reed's organization. He lives in the Atlanta area and I assume that he'll vote, even though he said he may not.

Ralph Reed has strong conservative and evangelical credentials. It seems that Ralph Reed is a slam dunk for Dignan's vote, but lately Dignan has started to question the Republican establishment.

If Dignan votes for Ralph Reed, I can only assume that the rage and frustration in the conservative ranks isn't really as deep as some of the rhetoric leads me to believe. It would be a strong wake-up call for Democrats this autumn. Democrats can't just rely on conservative frustrations to sweep to victory.

If Dignan votes for Casey Cagle (the other guy), then I'm hopeful for a Democratic victory in the autumn. I might be wrong about that conclusion and there might be different facts on the ground that I'm not privy to. However, a Dignan vote against Reed and for Cagle would bring a smile to my face.

So, Dignan, care to tell us who you punched your ballot for?

Technorati Tags: , , ,

|