Wednesday, December 28, 2005

In defense of gurufrisbee sorta

In the comments to my recent post, gurufrisbee had this to say, "'Country music' isn't music, it's twang background noise for dressing up and hitting on your cousin to."

Clearly he is totally wrong on this because my cousins don't even like me. Besides country music has lyrics with funny turns of phrases (like "My Give a Damn's Busted") or it tells a good story (like "Three Wooden Crosses").

I was ready to rip into him with all this, but then CMT played this gem...

Honky Tonk Badonkadonk by Trace Adkins with the incredibly moving chorus of:
At that honky tonk badonkadonk
Keepin' perfect rhythm
Make ya wanna swing along
Got it goin' on
Like Donkey Kong
And whoo-wee
Shut my mouth, slap your grandma
There outta be a law
Get the Sheriff on the phone
Lord have mercy, how's she even get them britches on
That honky tonk badonkadonk


Say what? Got it goin' on like Donkey Kong? Did anyone ever play this game? Donkey Kong was a giant gorilla that stood at the top of a chutes and ladder game rolling barrels. Donkey Kong never had anything going on.

Then, 'slap your grandma'? Why? My grandmas are very nice and sweet old women. They don't deserved to be slapped.

Finally, 'there outta be a law get the sheriff on the phone'? Doesn't Trace know how our representative government works? The sheriff is part of the executive branch. They execute the law. Laws are created by the legislative branch. So Trace, you should get Congress on the phone.

Yet, even with such a horrible song, country music is still better than rap, hip-hop, Top 40 stuff or the extra cheesy Top 40 rip-off pop Christian stuff.

With that I'll do as Trace said and "shut my mouth."

|