Monday, December 19, 2005

Monday's Meditation

I know that usually on Monday's I try to give you a verse or passage to meditate on. I'm fresh out of verses and passages, so I'll just share with you what I've been thinking about lately.

The hustle and bustle of Christmas has gotten to me over the past couple of years. I'm not so concerned with controversies over "Merry Christmas" and TARGET not allowing the Salvation Army to post a bell ringer as I am with the lack of peace this time of the year brings people.

Driving home as a child with my dad from Grandma and Grandpa's house one Christmas Eve, I remarked that the blinking lights on the town Christmas light didn't seem to fit in with the "Silent Night" of Christmas - that time of awe and wonder that Mary "Pondered in her heart" as the Scriptures describe. Now, as a thirty year old - my, how the years pass by! - I sit at the start of yet another Christmas week, one of travel, parties, gifts, stuff, relatives, food, drink, and who knows what else.

And yet, as I sit here, I long for something different. I want the baby in the manger and the heavenly host singing "Hallelujah!" as seekers from afar come filled with wonder and delight, seeking the one the stars told them of. I want the hope - no, the promise - of "peace on Earth and good will toward man." I wonder to sit by a fire in a candle lit room and ponder the mystery of Immanuel, "God With Us," and celebrate the God of promise and hope and listen as he whispers his plans for me while the flames cast shadows against the wall behind me and my spirit is renewed so I can once more trust and obey.

|