Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Those Damn' Yankees

I know that this is supposed to be a political/religious 'blog, but I just had to write this. I don't like the Yankees. I haven't since about 1995 when they took on my M's in the ALDS. My affection for them wasn't improved when they knocked the M's out of the playoffs two times after '95. Sheer heartbreak. Before that, I really appreciated the Yankee lore and actually liked the organization. Mattingly, Strawberry, Gooden, Cone, Williams, etc. But I don't like them now. Maybe it was Ruben Sierra's dancing down the first base line after hitting a home run. Maybe it was Paul O'Niel's cry-babby attitude. Maybe it was the average at best Jim Layritz getting clutch hit after clutch hit against my boys. I don't know. I just don't like 'em.

The really funny (funny as in ironic for those of you who may not understand me - jtr, ha-ha, ho-ho) thing is that generally there isn't a player on the team I despise. I love Jorge Posada, Jason Giambi for his combativeness, Derek Jetter for his craftiness, Bernie Williams for his roundedness as a person, Gary Shetfield's bat, and Mariano Rivera for that darn smile he gets when it's all over. I'm even getting over Alex Rodriguez leaving Seattle and breaking my naive little heart. But I despise them - all of them.

I can't stand to listen to them at bat - something bad is bound to happen. I didn't tune into the game tonight to see if the Angels were winning. I tuned in to find out if the Yankees were still loosing. And they did. And I can sleep a bit easier now knowing that them damn' Yankees aren't going to the World Series again.

|