Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Virginia Senate wisely kills 'prayer amendment'

The Virginia Senate has killed a proposed amendment to the Virginia constitution (unchanged since 1786) that would have explicitly allowed people to pray on public property, including schools. First off, you have the right to pray on public property, it is called the freedom of religion. I work at a school...trust me prayer happens all the time. If I was in Virginia, I wouldn't stop anyone and/or try to get them arrested. Americans have the right to practice their religion without government interference, but we don't have the right to proselytize that religion. Notice the difference...subtle, but vitally important.


Del. Charles W. Carrico Sr. (R-Grayson), who authored the proposed amendment, said, "Our country was built upon the Christian principles of the Bible,"

Apparently he doesn't read my blog to know that he is wrong. I'll send him a link.

|