Monday, January 24, 2005

Another postive option

If I told you that you could invest 5 minutes in writing an e-mail or 15 minutes in writing a letter and you could save 1,000 people, would you do it? Of course you would. At church last night, our vicar, Nikki Gumbel, used the Parable of the Good Samaritan to show that the church is obligated to act in the greatest moral challenge of our day, global poverty. 1/3 of the world lives on less than $2/day. A silent tsunami sweeps over Africa each month and kills 100,000 or more CHILDREN from treatable, preventable diseases.

1/3 of the world’s population is beat up and in a ditch. Whether their fault or not, they need help. Shall we be like the rabbi and the Levite who did nothing or the Samaritan who stopped, helped and paid for the man’s lodging? 2005 is a critical year to make a difference. George Bush launched a historic bid to help end AIDS, but that was derailed by the War on Terror. The United Kingdom has led the way in global debt relief, but has only made a minor dent. The G8 meet in Scotland in July and those 8 men have the power to change the world. Let them know you care.

There is a grassroots-level action campaign to alleviate world poverty- Make Poverty History go there and sign up for action. More importantly, take 5 minutes to e-mail your representative in Congress or 15 minutes to write a letter and send it off. Regardless of your political stripes, the Church should be behind this movement to rescue God’s favored creation from injustice, indignity and inhumanity. This is a simple and important task for the Church to take up; “For when I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me”…“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’”

|