Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Breaks my heart every time

I've been known to spontaneously hi-five my daughters. We can be talking about dance class or the latest master piece on the 'fridge and out of no where my hand goes up and there is no hesitation on their part. We slap the other's hand, smile, giggle, laugh, maybe embrace in a hug and go on about our business.

I've been known to spontaneously hi-five my students. We can be talking about numbers and I'll hear some great mathematical thinking from a first grader and my hand goes up and the kid's shoulders and face turn away and fall slightly back. I smile reassuringly while my heart breaks, feeling pretty sure I know how that reaction became so automatic in a 6 year old, and I spend the rest of the class trying show a group 4 or 5 of the least of these that they are fearfully and wonderfully made.

|