Monday, July 21, 2008

The God Delusion

Has anyone read The God Delusion? I started reading it thinking it might be a good book for a group study for some guys at church who are interested in apologetics and whatnot. It has some interesting thoughts. It has a lot unfortunate examples of the Church and its members not representing Christ. But this book, from what I've read so far, has no clear-cut defense (in a philosophical sense of the term "defense") of the position that there is no god other than, "I disagree with these actions and so should every compassionate human being, so there is no god," and, "given these really disagreeable events in history, how can you believe in god?" and, "Evolution explains everything, so we don't need god anymore." I'm really simplifying things quite a bit and after further digging I may change my tune on his lack of a defense, but right now, I'm not impressed.

|