Tuesday, June 10, 2008

More Democratic Veepstakes talk

The big news is that Governor Strickland has made a Shermanesque statement regarding his interest in a vice-presidency. On NPR today, he said, "Absolutely not. If drafted I will not run, nominated I will not accept, and if elected I will not serve." That is big news. Many people think Ohio is leaning Democratic anyway, so maybe this announcement isn't as big as I think it.

Also in the Veepstakes discussion, E.J. Dionne made the case for Joe Biden. I like E.J. Dionne and Joe Biden, but the argument is full of holes. The main fault of the argument is thinking that November's election will be about foreign policy. And even if it is, Obama has already said his approach will be more State Department rather than Pentagon.

Biden just doesn't fit. He doesn't scream "CHANGE!" He lacks executive experience and has never had any experience with the bread and butter issues of the kitchen table that are almost certainly going to be the main issues come November.

Joe Biden is a good guy and maybe fit for a position in the cabinet, but as a number 2, he just doesn't work for me.

Mrs. Expat Teacher asked me over dinner, "Do you ever get tired talking about who Obama is going to pick?"

I replied, "Nope. Not ever. It is like draft day for politics."

Are you tired of the speculation? What do you think of this?

|