Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Witch hunt

We just finished WASLing last Friday. In my mailbox at school was something called an OSPI Temperature Check. I guess the purpose of the survey was to determine union members' view of both the WASL and the current Superintendent of Public Instruction in Washington State. It was a bogus survey. While the two are related, they are not contingent.

I didn't complete the survey, but I did write an impromptu essay that I wish I had a little more room to add a few more ideas. Here's what I wrote...

I think that the WASL is a valid and accurate test/assessment of the Washington State Grade Level Expectations. It is, however, a one day/two week snapshot of student performance. For that reason, I am concerned about the extreme weight given to he test in terms of funding, etc when it comes to No Child Left Behind and whatnot. I am also greatly concerned about the huge cost of funding this test! There are other assessments out there that are not as intrusive (2-3 weeks! Give me a break!) or expensive. We also would ge our data back sooner so it can serve our students the year we have them! (Please see NWEA).

I would like to see us go back to the 4,7,10 WASL schedule to give that snapshot of our students as mentioned earlier. I'd like us to take a more global approach when it come to reporting to State/Federal officials and the public at large.

|