Monday, April 28, 2008

Has US abstinence policy failed?

I've been meaning to blog about this for about a week now, but life keeps getting in the way. Last week, the BBC had an article asking if US abstinence policy had failed. There isn't much new in the story, it is basically a rehashing of both sides talking points with the excuse of some Congressional hearing to publish them again.

The most interesting part of the debate is that Mrs. Expat Teacher now works full-time for a company that helps promote "abstinence until marriage" education. In 30 or so school days, that company will be the provider of the bulk of our income and our health benefits.

But I'm on record with strong opinions that abstinence-only education is a farce. What am I to do? Hope that a program I genuinely believes is harmful to students gets its funding revoked? Of course, then I won't be able to see the doctor or pay my mortgage.

Mrs. Expat Teacher and I have gone round and round on this issue. I believe that abstinence should be taught as part of a comprehensive curriculum. Although, I know the demands of the school day. If I had to prioritize, I believe sexual health and disease/pregnancy prevention should trump the abstinence talk. She believes that abstinence until marriage (nice frame, huh? Who is against abstinence until marriage?) should be the primary motivator in sexual education.

What say you?

|