Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Day 2 at my internship

So I was up before 7 a.m. to make sure I had everything we needed to set up a table and to raise awareness about the Bill Richardson for President campaign at the Take Back America conference. With two big packages under my arms, I left home wearing a suit for only the 3rd time in a year. I got to the hotel and nothing was set-up like it was suppose to be. After finding my point person, I was able to get a table set up and volunteers started trickling in.

We gave out signs, stickers and bumper stickers. Finally at 8:45, the Governor arrived and did a couple of minutes of grin and grip with us. It was all rather exciting. I shook his hand again, but as he moved through our group of supporters (25 strong at 8:45 on a Tuesday morning is pretty good), everyone parted. It was rather funny. At 6'3" and easily 200+ pounds, the Governor is an imposing figure.

His staff shuffled him off to his green room in time for his 9:00 speech. We assembled in the Grand Ballroom and waited for Governor Richardson to arrive. He gave a hell of a speech. He called for the United States to lead the world again against rapid global climate change and for a full and complete withdrawal from Iraq. All 400+ delegates gave him a standing ovation at the end of his speech.

We quickly hurried off to see if we could meet the Governor one more time, but were ushered out of the waiting area because we didn't have passes. Instead, we regrouped around our table and tried to manage the flow of people openly excited about Governor Richardson's ideas. We signed up new folks, gave away ALL our campaign signs and stickers, and talked with some media people.

I finally wrapped up the event at 11:00 and went home. It was 95 yesterday with 80% humidity so I was sweating bullets. I decided to stay at home for the afternoon. I took a 4-hour nap. No one seemed to notice. And that's fine with me. I did the work I should have done during the day after Mrs. Expat Teacher went to bed last night.

|