Monday, February 05, 2007

Monday's Meditation

"I will extol the LORD at all times; his praise will always be on my lips. My soul will boast in the LORD; let the afflicted hear and rejoice. Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt his name together."
Psalm 34:1-3

I don't know about you, but I don't always feel like praising the LORD. Sometimes it's because I'm a miserable sinner and can't stand to be in his presence. Other times I'm just plain old tired.

Like today, for example. My in-laws came to visit for the weekend. We stayed up late watching Little Miss Sunshine (which was totally funny and insightful and sad and joyous), so I was a less than enthused when our nearly three year old came traipsing into our bedroom at 6:30 AM asking if she could be awake. No. You can't.

Anyway, like I was saying, I really didn't feel like being in the assembly today. I sat on the toilet lid for like five minutes, fully clothed, and moaning about how miserable I was, hoping my wife would be gracious and come up with the great idea of staying home this morning.

We all need people in our lives, like my wife was for me this morning, who can say to us, "Let us exalt his name together." Because, honestly, this whole following Jesus thing is hard and I'm not sure how people do it on their own, if they do at all.

Dear God, thank you for the people you've placed around us to encourage us, shelter us, and believe in us when following you become too hard or unattractive. May we in turn encourage, shelter, and believe in those around us.

|