Thursday, January 11, 2007

Economist sheds light on Country Music

I've liked Country Music since I was about 15 years old. I turned to it when Big Hair Bands fell out of favor and Grunge/Alternative became all the rage. I don't know if I could ever explain why I liked it. I just did. Well, the Economist has done the work for me.

Their article isn't the standard "Hillybilly music with twang" slant that the media usually gives country. It has a deeper look at what the songs are about, what they contribute to the national conversation and how they capture a moment. Sony BMA's head of the country division, Joe Galante said, "It's not about sexual innuendo or bling, but the problems and experiences of ordinary people: love, loss, family life, having a good time and a sense of humour."

Exactly.

Technorati Tags: ,

|