Saturday, December 16, 2006

Return of the Jedi

Well, I'm back; sort of. My computer is still in the shop. We've replaced the graphics card and the display is still not displaying. So, my mother-in-law has been kind enough to allow us to borrow her laptop until ours is up and running.

Actually, we're looking to buy a new computer and have our eye on one of those i-Macs that Expat is so fond of. We've got one all picked out and are waiting until after the new year to buy.

I finished a great book by Wendell Berry called Jayber Crow. It's part of a series of books on a fictional town called Port William. The story tracks the life of Jayber Crow, who is the town's barber. Through Jayber's eyes, the reader is afforded a unique look into the small town located in Kentucky. Themes of community, love, purpose, and change are prevalent. To be honest, while I really enjoyed the book, it left me saddened because of what happens for the sake of progress, change, and the American Dream. I highly recommend it to any of you. Wendell Berry is an interesting person who I may write more about at a later time.

I also finished listening to the Black Trilogy by Ted Dekker and was left with the question, "Why is the vast majority of Christian fiction so bad?"

Just before my computer went blind, I got hooked on YouTube and came across this strange video.

Well, I better go. It's dark out, my wife is napping, and squirt is watching Shrek 2.

|