Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Culturespotting or "The House Tour"

I leave today for London, but what a wonderful month-long vacation/break I've had. It has been a wonderful time of family, friends, reflection, and rest. I'm ready to take on the rest of the 2006 school year.

Before I go, I want to share a culturespotting given to me by an English couple (now living in LA) we had dinner with earlier this week. They are enjoying living in America, if not their jobs, but have discovered a peculiar American trait...the house tour.

What is the appropriate response to the question, "Do you want the tour?" Could one reasonably answer, "No."? Why do we feel the need to show off every room in the house? Do our guests really need to see the master bath? If they aren't staying in the guest room, is it important they see the fluffy pillows and window coverings?

For the guest, what happens when you run out of superlatives? Can one get by with just saying, "Cool." in every room?

Anyone know why Americans do the house tour when guests arrive?

|