Saturday, July 02, 2005

Book Meme

Golly I'm touched. Dignan has tagged me for the Book Meme that is going around. The funny part is I just told Mrs. Expat Teacher I may never read another book again. My iPod is a third arm (or 3rd and 4th ear?) and between podcasts and audiobooks from Audible.com, I don't have time to read anything substantial anymore. However, let's give this a shot. ;-)

1) How many books have I owned?

Probably several hundred. Most are in storage in the US, but looking at my two book shelves here in our flat in London, they are overflowing.

2) What was the last book you bought?

I bought 3 simultaneously through Audible.com. I got The Iliad & The Odyssey, The Abolition of Man & The Great Divorce, and The Message (NT only).

3) Last book that you've read.

Again trouble because I haven't 'read' it in the traditional sense, but I just finished Mere Christianity. So incredible. It continually challenges me and comforts me. I love the absolute truth wrapped in analogies and philosophical arguments. No book has meant more to my walk with the Lord.

For a book that is truly being read, I'm only about 70 pages from finishing God's Politics, which I plan to review here at Page 132.

4) 5 books that have meant a lot to you.

Can I cheat and say the Bible? Certainly without it I wouldn't know God. It has been instrumental in forming all that is good in me. Praise the Lord for His Word.

Second, Is Jesus a Republican or Democrat? - by Tony Campolo. When I was searching for my identity within Christendom, this book truly saved my life. Before that I was moving with rapid speed toward legalism and very hard Right politics. This book challenged and convinced me that the Right doesn't have all the correct answers, even if my pastors were preaching like they did. I'm a huge fan of Tony, if only because he clearly loves Jesus, but continues to ask why and challenge the status quo within the Church.

Third, The Prince - by Nicolo Machiavelli. As a sophomore I read this book about the relationship between love and power and was transfixed. Not only does it shine a spotlight on politics, but it has great insight into personal relationships. Machiavelli now means someone without scruples or who is cruel. The Prince does have that, but it truly a very pragmatic book about how to govern and I can identify with that.

Fourth, As I said, Mere Christianity - by C.S. Lewis. Actually I love everything he has done, but this is his masterpiece.

Finally, Rick Steves' Europe Through the Back Door - by Rick Steves. After reading this book, I decided I had to travel to Europe. After traveling to Europe I decided I needed to return. That was 4 years ago and I haven't looked back.

5) Tag five people that haven't played yet.

Staying close to home, I tag gurufrisbee. How about some of the regular commentators? Therefore I tag Hefe, jtr, and Christopher. Finally the man who officiated my wedding, Wade Hodges.

|