Sunday, June 05, 2005

If I were Jewish

I'd be really offended by people who read the Bible literally. To read the Bible literally is to assume that the original readers (the Jews) had no concept of metaphors or hyperbole. To do so assumes that the original Jewish culture had no place for things like poetry, song and political speech that use metaphors as a form of expression. To read the Bible completely literally assumes that Jews didn't have the ability to express themselves in anything other than concrete concepts.

Guess I'm glad I 'm not Jewish and that I don't read everything in the Old Testament literally.

Extra bonus points to the reader that can find the quote from C.S. Lewis that goes somemthing like..."I read the Bible literally where it should be read that way and not where it shouldn't"

|