Thursday, September 20, 2007

Senate Republicans obstruct the people's business

After being denied a single vote in the House of Representatives by a filibuster, I wasn't surprised to see that Senate Republicans also filibustered (and killed) restoring habeas corpus to terrorism suspects and extending home leave for troops serving in Iraq.

Although it has hurt my cause, I generally support the filibuster. I think it is an ingenious way to ensure against 'tyranny of the majority' that r.johnson always rattles on about.

However, when Americans go to the polls next and wonder why nothing has been done. I've got two words for them: Senate Republicans stopped everything.

Don't believe me? Check out Kevin Drum and his post on the record breaking number of filibusters by Senate Republicans this Congress. For most of the 21st century, the number has hovered around 50 filibusters for each Congress. This Congress? Projected to be 153.

|