Monday, September 03, 2007

Monday's Meditation

It seems that my oldest daughter doesn't quite understand the idea of forgiveness - especially when it comes to who forgives and who is forgiven. This evening at the dinner table, I last straw broke and my oldest daughter and I had it out. Later, I ended up apologizing to her and asking for her forgiveness. She was quick to forgive and quickly became my best bud' all over again.

We had to remind her a couple more times to use her spoon, especially when it came time to eat her ice cream. "This is what you got in trouble for last time, remember?" we told her. She looks at us and says, "Okay. Sorry. I forgive you."

The thing is, I'm not sure that Em is the only one in our household for whom forgiveness is a difficult concept, nor is she the only person on the planet that doesn't understand forgiveness. How often do the sins of yesterday come creeping back into today to haunt us and jeer us over all that we've done wrong?

Part of the good news of the Gospel is that these transgressions have been atoned for on the cross of Christ. Thanks be to God!

"Mercy speaks by Jesus’ blood
Hear and sing, ye sons of God
Justice satisfied indeed
Christ has full atonement made"
-Derek Webb, "She Must and Shall Go Free"

|