Thursday, September 20, 2007

Nationalism?

This school year my staff decided to try something new in the morning. Usually individual teachers are expected to lead their class in the Pledge of Allegiance. This year, however, we're saying the Pledge as a school while some fifth graders lead us over the intercom. I don't really have a problem with this.

The thing that has been going on that wasn't discussed was the playing of "The Star Spangled Banner" right afterwards. I don't know why, but this makes me feel really uncomfortable. For one, it's something different - this is a "me" problem. Two, it's a bit long and I like to get right to it in the morning - so that may be a me problem as well. But, I also get this icky nationalistic feeling over the whole thing - like we're indoctrinating the kids or something. I don't get this way over the National Anthem at games or other large events, but for whatever reason, this has me feeling weird.

So, am I overreacting in my response? Or, is there something to my feelings?

|