Monday, April 16, 2007

Monday's Meditation

I've been the overseer of small groups at my church for nearly three years. Overseeing this ministry has been a huge challenge, mostly because our church is so entrenched with its children's ministries, but also because I'm trying to cast a new (old?) vision of what church could look like (with the blessing and encouragement of the church leadership, of course).

After two years of virtually no growth (if anything, there are actually fewer groups compared to when I took over), I decided that I needed to start a group.
The following is an excerpt from an article I wrote for the church newsletter for the month of April.
At first glance, there is nothing super-spiritual that happens at our weekly meetings. We sit in a circle and discuss the week’s events. We pray a little. We talk about our book. We eat some chips and dip. We go home. Nothing earth shattering here.

After nearly a year of meeting weekly, something miraculous has happened, though. You see, I’ve come to love these people; I mean, really love them. They’re annoying, don’t always do what I want them to do, and rarely show up on time, but I love them.

I’ve come to find that there’s something sacred in the ordinary; something super-spiritual and life changing happens when I set aside my agenda in order to invest my life in the life of another.

|