Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Lent

Last Wednesday marked the beginning of the lent season.

I started observing lent in college and is something I look forward to each year as we approach Easter. I really don't know the ins and outs of lent. How or why lent came about is beyond me. I'm not even sure that I practice it in the traditional manner. I guess I should go read the links I linked above. Yeah, good idea.

My understanding of lent is that it is a season of fasting in preparation for Easter. I end up giving up things that I find comfort in, which turns out to be things like ice cream, cookies, candy, or any other type of dessert type item. I really like sweets.

This year will be a little different. I've decided to give up alcohol and coffee. I've really gotten into the habit of having a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. Every Monday or Friday this fall I've stopped and picked up a latte. That was, until Christmas when my parents bought me an espresso machine. Up until a week ago, I had a latte every day - not that there's anything wrong with that!

I guess I take part in lent because it forces me to think about the things I turn to for comfort and stability. In some ways our routines are a blessing to us, but my problem is that they become "gospel" and if I'm out of sorts, well... Expat knows what I'm like. When I fast from something like coffee or alcohol or dessert, I find myself looking forward to them more, which reminds me to pray, something I don't do enough of.

I don't think it's too late for you to join me in the lent season. There's nothing magical, so far as I know, about the forty days thing. If you do join me, or already are taking part in lent, please share what you've given up for this anticipatory season leading up to Easter!

|