Thursday, September 21, 2006

Stop buying his oil!

I guess the maxim, I can make fun of my family, but you better not also extends to the political sphere. Several prominent Democrats have rightly defended President Bush from the completely over-the-top charge of being "the devil" leveled against him by Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

"You don't come into my country; you don't come into my congressional district and you don't condemn my president," Rep. Charles Rangel, D-New York,

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-California, was blunt in her criticism of the Venezuelan leader. "He is an everyday thug," she said.


Both of those things are true. Americans should remember that the next time we slam a foreign leader. Even the foreign leader's domestic critics will come to his aid.

However, that doesn't change the fact that Chavez is an everyday thug and completely out of his mind.

Unfortunately, Chavez can say whatever he wants and get away with it. Venezuelza supplies 13% of America's daily oil consumption. We need him a lot more than he needs us.

That is why we need an energy independence program that will reduce our dependence on foreign oil. We need to starve the dictators that insult us and hold us in contempt. When Hugo Chavez needs us more than we need him, I'll bet he no longer calls any American the devil.

|