Saturday, November 12, 2005

Pilates - it ain't just for chics

My brother is getting married in December and a while back, I joined a gym to slim down. I've been doing some weight lifting and taking some classes, which has paid off because I've lost about a 1 kg (2.2 lbs) each of the last 3 months. One of the most enjoyable classes is Pilates.

When Mrs. Expat Teacher invited me to join her in the class I assumed it was like Yoga with a lot of chanting and it would be full of women. Pilates isn't like Yoga at all. It is strengthening through stretching and resistance. I've been taking the weekly course for about 2 1/2 months and I've had fabulous results. My "core muscles" are much stronger and I'm able to do many of the exercises with greater flexibility and for longer. The most exciting thing is that when I started the course I could hardly touch the tops of feet when I bent over. Now I can put all 5 finger tips on the floor. Pilates is well worth the effort.

Oh, and the class is full of women, but I've only got eyes for Mrs. Expat Teacher

|