Saturday, April 16, 2005

Friday Prayer Blogging (delayed)

I'm sorry that today's Friday Prayer Blogging is late, but Mrs. Expat Teacher and I were out late at the "Wake up to Trade Justice" rally in London last night. According to Reuters, so were about 25,000 others. Inspired by seeing so many Christians come out to an all-night event, I have today's Friday Prayer Blogging items. Leaning heavily on a post by Keith over at Under the Acacias, let us pray.

“And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” (Mic 6:8)

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and the needy." (Proverbs 31: 8)


Ask yourself the following questions and reflect on them.

  • Am I truly concerned for justice for the poor? Is it something that motivates me and impacts the way I live, shop, and vote?
  • Am I acting justly, living it out in my daily life, assuring that my choices and lifestyle do not oppress the weak?
  • Do I make an effort to buy fairly traded goods that give a fair deal for the poor?
  • Do I speak up for the poor and oppressed, calling our leaders to act for them?


Knowing that the scriptures clearly say, "The righteous care about justice for the poor." (Prov 29:7) let us go before the Lord and repent where we have ignored the cry of the oppressed, or have been part of a system of injustice. Then, let us ask God what he requires of us as individuals and as a church. How should we pray, act, and speak for justice?

On a personal sidenote: Frequent visitor, Public Theologian had to have emergency eye surgery a week ago Saturday to repair his retina in his one remaining eye.  Consequently, he cannot read anything and won't be able to for several more weeks. He hopes to be up again by May 1st. I'm praying for his speedy recovery, will you join me?

|