Thursday, February 17, 2005

All talk AND some action

Being an expat in Britain means that I have very little options to be involved in politics here. My lack of ability to vote and Yankee accent immediately raise barriers, but that doesn't mean I'm all talk and no action.

You are reading the new Resident's Association Whip's blog. In our block of 20 flats, we have a resident's association because the freeholder and his property management team aren't very good at communicating and VERY good at asking for a lot of money. This year's service charge is roughly £1500 per apartment. The demand came with no explanation and some of us are asking for a costing to figure out how the managing agent expects to spend £30,000 on our flat's day-to-day operations.

Anyway, my job is to make sure that the 20 owners understand the concerns the resident's association have about this and hope we can stall them in paying this outrageous charge until we have a better understanding of the costings. It is our hope that all 20 of us united can get a better result than 2 or 3 of us. That is where I come in. To get everyone singing from the same songsheet.

As I warned my wife last night, today the resident's association whip....tomorrow the world! (she rightly did say there was probably some intermediate step first)

|