Tuesday, February 14, 2006

My Enemies Are Men Like Me

Words & Music by Derek Webb

(verse 1)
i have come to give you life
and to show you how to live it
i have come to make things right
to heal their ears and show you how to forgive them

(verse 2)
peace by way of war is like purity by way of fornication
it’s like telling someone murder is wrong
and then showing them by way of execution

(pre-chorus)
because i would rather die

i would rather die
i would rather die
than to take your life

(Chorus)
how can i kill the ones i’m supposed to love

my enemies are men like me

i will protest the sword if it’s not wielded well

my enemies are men like me

A song by a wonderful artist, who loves the Lord, and wrestles with difficult issues. This song, particularly, is one I wrestle with, and is a hot topic around page 132. I have trouble with the second verse, but find a balance in the third line of the chorus.

At any rate, hat tip to Derek Webb for recording music that makes a Christian engage their mind. I recommend to all of our readers to sample his music and theology over at his web site. IT is well worth your time, whether you agree with him or not.

Additional Note: Derek is one of my favorites, if for no other reason than that he is reformed in theology while being socially aware - somewhat of an enigma, but close to my heart.

|