Friday, September 23, 2005

Don't forget

In recent weeks there has been a lot going on - Two massively destructive hurricanes, one Supreme Court justice about to be voted in, starting of the school year, baseball playoff races, the second season of "LOST" starting, and lots of other distractions both large and small.

Distractions? Well, in terms of Iraq - absolutely. The "war" in Iraq hasn't stopped, even though the news about it and media focus on it nearly has. Certainly there is some urgency to focus on things like Katrina and Rita and that only makes sense. And maybe we would have slowed down on talking about Iraq anyways, since by all accounts the situation there just seems to be the same progressively worsening mess that it has been for a couple years now.

For me, I can't let it simply slip into the back section of my mind; comfortably out of sight until something 'significant' happens. Fortunately, I'm not alone.

Jose Roldan has a terrific piece about what has happened with Iraq. I just finished reading it and am still processing through it, even as I read it. It's really, really good. I encourage you all to take the time to read it. One quote from it:

"The Iraq War is, and has been since its inception, wrong in conception and execution, strategically, politically, economically and most importantly - morally."

We must not forget this.

|