Thursday, January 13, 2005

The President's Faith

If you have any doubt about the President's faith, he has spelled it out pretty clearly in an article with the administration-friendly Washington Times. The article seems to have a few purposes:

    to explain that the President really does have a "relationship with the Lord"

    to show that faith based iniatives are really working-(ed note: they are just a sham, look here)

    to show that the President does understand pluralism as it relates to religions


The lead quotes the President who doesn't "see how you can be president without a relationship with the Lord," which is good, but hasn't every President in since 1976 been a professing Christian? Does that assume that a Jew or a Muslim couldn't be a good President since they (by the very nature of their religions) can't have a relationship with the Lord?

I guess I just head back to James 2 and ask where are the deeds that go with the faith? Are the poor better taken care of? Are the widows and the fatherless better cared for? Are the number of abortions down? Is the nation more righteous or closer to God based on President Bush's decisions?

Another point: I have an honest question. Read this part of the article and tell me what President Bush means.
 "I think people attack me because they are fearful that I will then say that you're not equally as patriotic if you're not a religious person," Mr. Bush said. "I've never said that. I've never acted like that. I think that's just the way it is.


Does he mean that (A) he does feel people without religion are less patriotic, but just doesn't show it or say anything about it or (B) he thinks 'that's just the way it is' for others to attack him.

|