Sunday, October 30, 2005

I'm amazingly evangelical

Today at HTB, we talked about "how to revolutionize your relationships at work" and I was struck by how evangelical I am at work. Unfortunately, it isn't about God's love and Jesus' sacrifice for humanity. I am extremely evangelical about blogs and iPods. I will talk to anyone and everyone about how much fun and interesting blogs are and how everyone should start one. Anyone that will listen gets an earful about iPods and how they have revolutionized music and society.

But when it comes to Jesus, I'm mute. Once in a blue moon I'll talk with a co-worker about Jesus, but it doesn't go very far. He has some legitimate grievances with God, but that desperately needed conversation with God doesn't even start cuz he doesn't believe He exists. Outside of that one co-worker, I don't talk about Jesus at all.

I'd like to think that I talk about blogs and iPods because if people reject them, there are no consequences so there is no downside. Yet if I tell people about Jesus and they reject Him, then there are horrible eternal consequences so there is a huge downside.

But I think it is probably because I'm a fearful wimp.

And just for good measure, here is a quote that I think sums up how many people understand God. - "When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realized that The Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked him to forgive me." -- Emo Philips

|